Got a Back or Spine Injury?
This May Be Why
Back pain is the leading cause of disability worldwide and one of the main reasons why people visit the doctor. This could be due to the vastly complex nature of the spine that protects the body’s central nervous system. Whether from an athletic injury or a work-related accident, back pain can range from mild discomfort to debilitating if left untreated.
Spinal anatomy is an impressive combination of bones, muscles, ligaments, and nerves. The spine consists of:
- Vertebrae: 33 small stacked bones that form the spinal canal
- Intervertebral discs: flat, round cushions that are in between the vertebrae and act as the spine’s shock absorbers
- Spinal cord and nerves: column of nerves that is along the spinal canal, with pairs of nerve branches expanding out through the vertebral openings
- Facet joints: spinal joints with cartilage that provide flexibility and stability, and allow your vertebrae to twist and turn
- Soft tissues: these muscles, ligaments, and tendons help to hold the spine in position and aid movement.
Additionally, the spine is segmented into three regions:
- Cervical spine: top seven vertebrae towards the neck
- Thoracic spine: the middle 12 vertebrae in the upper back
- Lumbar spine: the 5 vertebrae in the lower back
The spine is critical for body support and movement, and spine health is essential to maintain overall health. Since it is such an intricate structure, the back is vulnerable to a myriad of health conditions.
Physical Therapy Treatments for Back and Spine Pain
At Reshape Physical Therapy, we offer multiple treatments that cover the back and spine such as: Cervical Spine Treatments, Thoracic Spine Treatments and Lumbar Spine Treatments. If these interest you, fill out the form below.
Fill out the form below and get in contact with us today!